If you're a Shopify merchant who uses PayPal as your payment processor, you may have experienced what's known as a PayPal Payment Hold this means that your account becomes unavailable. This is when PayPal puts a hold on your funds that are available to you, usually because you're a new store owner and PayPal wants to verify the reliability of your store transactions.
In this topic, we will straightforwardly discuss What is Payment hold and How you can get your money off hold on your PayPal account. We will also highlight in this article the importance of why we need to be aware of the possibility of a PayPal Payment Hold by understanding how it works and avoid any potential delays in getting your funds.
What is Payment Hold?
The money of your PayPal Account is Pending or Suspended.
How long does PayPal take to hold your funds?
The standard holding factor of PayPal is 21 days. However, there are several things you can do to shorten this timeline.
Five (5) reasons why PayPal Put a hold on your funds?
- You are Newbie or You are new to selling - When you are a first-time seller you need to establish a positive selling pattern with your buyers and it takes some time to establish a good one.
- You haven't sold anything in a while. It will take time to rebuild a history of positive buyer-seller transactions if your selling activity has been stagnant or dormant longer period.
- You received various refund, dispute, or chargeback requests. To prevent this kind of request, the most practical way is to work directly with your customers. There’s a need for your to have active customer service to manage the inquiries of your customers
- Your selling activity appears to have changed. This includes a recent spike in sales or a change in your average selling price, business platform, or type of item being sold.
- You're selling items that are considered to be of higher risk. This can include items such as tickets, gift cards, consumer electronics, computers, and travel packages. You can also read our PayPal User Agreement for more information to avoid your funds being withheld.
How you can get Your Money off hold on your PayPal account?
If there are no issues with your order, you may be able to access your money sooner than the supposed to be 21 days.
You also need to follow these steps to expedite the process of releasing your funds:
Using Paypal Supported Carriers:
Based on our research here’s the list of PayPal Supported Carries:
PayPal Supported Carriers in the United States as of June 18, 2020:
- DHL eCommerce US
- DHL Express (Piece ID)
- Globegistics Inc.
- RL Carriers
- RRD International Logistics U.S.A
Disclaimer: Please check the PayPal website to view the complete list.
How to avoid any potential delays in getting your PayPal funds:
- Submitting tracking/shipping details is key to receiving your PayPal payment faster (usually PayPal will release your payment one day after the order is confirmed)
Use an Automated tool such as Paltrack to manage this task effortlessly. You may visit the store and see how Paltrack can help you automate the submission of your tracking information to your PayPal account in real-time.https://apps.shopify.com/paltrack; also print a USPS or UPS shipping label in your PayPal Account.
2. Review PayPal Notification Email and be cautious on the alert of your account overview.
3. Prevent refunds, disputes, and chargebacks by:
- Post real and actual photos of the items you're selling.
- Be clear about your store policy, refund policy, shipping policy, and terms of service.
- By taking care of packing items and using appropriate packing materials of good quality, customers will receive their items in the condition in which they were intended.
- Be Responsive and communicate to your customers professionally
Create a PayPal Automatic customer service message under PayPal Resolution Center. Check this related article for your guide How Paypal Release Funds - Trick 2022
If you're ever in a situation where your PayPal balance isn't available or suspended, best to follow the guide mentioned above to prevent potential delays and be able to release your funds faster than being scheduled at 21days.
We would appreciate it if you could share your thoughts with us. Have you had any issues with your funds being pending by PayPal?